Congress has until December 11th to pass a budget and keep the government open. The problem is, war hawks are threatening to add damaging riders to this must-pass budget deal, including a provision to defund the Syrian and Iraqi refugee resettlement program. With a threat of government shutdown looming, we need to keep the pressure on Members who might be willing to sell out core American values to score political points.
Make your voice heard TODAY. Call your Members of Congress and urge them to block any attempts to close our borders to refugees. Here’s how:
1. Call the Capitol toll-free* at 1-877-429-0678
2. Ask to speak with your Representative
- To find your Members of Congress, click here.
3. Tell your Representative’s office:
- “I strongly support the resettlement of Syrian refugees. I urge your office to resist efforts, such as riders to the omnibus bill, that would slam the door on refugees.”
4. Repeat this process to call your Senators.
While we should be careful, smart, and vigilant with everyone who wants to come to our country, we should not lose our humanity by judging our fellow human beings guilty simply because of where they’re from. These refugees are families that are fleeing horrific violence, persecution, and repression in the hope of making a better life for themselves and their children. We can welcome refugees and still protect American security.
Most of us strive to treat others the way we’d want to be treated. If any one of us feared for our life or for our family, we’d like to know that others would help us to safety. Throughout history, people have risked everything for the hope of a better life. As Americans, we should keep our minds, our hearts, and our borders open to people in need who just want to come here and start a new life.
*Toll-free number provided by the Friends Committee on National Legislation, a Win Without War coalition member.