Job Title: Advocacy Director
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: Immediately
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Advocacy Director” in the subject line
Win Without War (www.winwithoutwar.org) is seeking to hire a full-time Advocacy Director to support our campaign-style approach to advancing progressive national security and foreign policy. The Advocacy Director will support our work to engage with policymakers, the NGO community, the media, and our grassroots network of partner organizations and activists.
As a seasoned advocate, this position will play a leading role in helping Win Without War advance our mission and goals. The below responsibilities and qualifications lay out more details, but successful candidates will also demonstrate an ability to bring leadership, creativity, and entrepreneurship to our team. Additionally, candidates must be able to take strong ownership of projects while balancing cooperation with a nimble, dynamic team of partners, both inside and outside the organization.
- Lead advocacy and public education efforts with policymakers and staff in Congress and the Administration.
- Assist in the development of comprehensive political strategies to advance policy goals through coordinated advocacy campaigns.
- Assist policymakers in the creation and evaluation of legislation and other initiatives.
- Engage and collaborate with policymakers, organizations, and influential individuals to advance advocacy objectives.
- Develop work plans, assist with, and manage the implementation of campaigns.
- Assist in the development and implementation of grassroots and netroots mobilizations utilizing internal capacity and coordinating with coalition members.
- Represent the organization within the antiwar and broader progressive communities as needed.
- Plan and manage meetings and special events as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience
- Knowledge of and a demonstrated commitment to progressive values and national security solutions
- An understanding of the politics of national security and foreign policy as it involves Congress, the Executive Branch, civil society institutions, material forces, ideology and political culture
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to write compelling products clearly and quickly
- Proven ability to work with diverse constituencies, including members of Congress, leaders of progressive organizations, donors, and grassroots activists
- Familiarity with campaigning strongly preferred
- Must be flexible with the ability to multi-task and adjust to frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong personal initiative, quick-learner, self-starter, mature, personable, and sense of humor
- Ability to plan and work to meet deadlines
- Strong personal initiative, quick-learner, self-starter, and ability to work independently
- 3+ years minimum relevant experience working in progressive advocacy, including political and/or issue advocacy campaigns
- Experience working with Congress preferred
About the Organization
Founded in 2002 to lead the first national campaign against the war in Iraq and the disastrous policies of the Bush/Cheney Administration, the Win Without War coalition has become an indispensable resource for advocates of progressive national security policies with an unmatched track record of timely and effective advocacy initiatives. The coalition reflects the diversity of the progressive movement with members including the NAACP, National Organization for Women, National Council of Churches, CREDO, and MoveOn.org. The coalition is currently focused on a variety of issues including confronting the over-militarization of American foreign policy, wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen, de-escalating conflict with Iran, promoting diplomacy, rebalancing federal budget priorities, protecting civil liberties, and ensuring the rule of law in national security.
Win Without War is a program of the Center for International Policy. The Advocacy Director will be an employee of the Center for International Policy.
The Center for International Policy is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.