Job Title: Policy Analyst
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: Immediately
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy Analyst” in the subject line
Win Without War (www.winwithoutwar.org) is seeking to hire a full-time Policy Analyst to support our campaign-style approach to advancing progressive national security policy. The Policy Analyst will support our work to engage with policymakers, the NGO community, the media, and our grassroots network of partner organizations and activists.
Combining substantive policy analysis with communications and political insight, this position will play a leading role in helping Win Without War identify and capitalize on opportunities to advance progressive national security goals both in Washington, DC and nationally at the grassroots level.
Day-to-day work may include: Conducting research on a range of foreign policy issues, producing policy memorandum, creating messaging documents, assisting with the drafting of petitions and letters, and producing policy products for public distribution. The position involves both medium-to-long-term policy development as well as immediate rapid response to events as they develop.
This position reports directly to the Director and is expected to be a senior team member. Ideal candidates will combine the following attributes:
- Passionate commitment to progressive values;
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic small-team environment;
- Excellent writing, research, and critical thinking skills;
- Substantive national security policy knowledge and comfort acting as a policy generalist;
- Intellectual creativity and curiosity;
- An understanding of the politics of national security as it involves Congress, the Executive Branch, civil society institutions, material forces, ideology and political culture;
- Ability to work independently when necessary, manage projects, and execute multiple simultaneous tasks on tight deadlines.
About the Organization
Founded in 2002 to lead the first national campaign against the war in Iraq and the disastrous policies of the Bush/Cheney Administration, the Win Without War coalition has become an indispensable resource for advocates of progressive national security policies with an unmatched track record of timely and effective advocacy initiatives. The coalition reflects the diversity of the progressive movement with members including the NAACP, National Organization for Women, National Council of Churches, CREDO, and MoveOn.org. The coalition is currently focused on a variety of issues including confronting the over-militarization of American foreign policy, wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen, de-escalating conflict with Iran, promoting diplomacy, rebalancing federal budget priorities, protecting civil liberties, and ensuring the rule of law in national security.
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience
- A demonstrated commitment to progressive values and national security solutions
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to write compelling products clearly and quickly
- Proven ability to work with diverse constituencies, including members of Congress, leaders of progressive organizations, donors, and grassroots activists
- Familiarity with campaigning preferred
- Must be flexible with the ability to multi-task and adjust to frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to plan and work to meet deadlines
- Strong personal initiative, quick-learner, self-starter, and ability to work independently
Minimum 3-5 years of relevant professional experience. More experienced candidates are invited to apply on the basis that there is room to enlarge the responsibilities of the position to as serve in a more senior capacity.
Win Without War is a program of the Center for International Policy. The Policy Analyst will be an employee of the Center for International Policy.
The Center for International Policy is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, persons with disabilities, veterans and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.