WASHINGTON — Win Without War Policy Director Kate Kizer released the following statement regarding Rep. Ilhan Omar’s recently-announced package of foreign policy legislation, titled the Pathway to PEACE (Progressive, Equitable, and Constructive Engagement):
“Progressives have often been accused of lacking a coherent approach to foreign policy. In reality, we have simply lacked the power and elected representation to demand progressive values be translated into foreign policymaking. Today, Representative Ilhan Omar has taken a significant step toward changing that. ‘Pathway to PEACE’ advances a bold, progressive approach to U.S. foreign policy by putting principles into practice. We fully endorse this critical package of legislation.
“‘Pathway to PEACE’ includes seven bills encompassing a wide range of foreign policy issues:
- Requiring congressional approval of economic sanctions;
- Promoting the adoption of a Global Migration Agreement;
- Redirecting war spending toward multilateral peacebuilding efforts;
- Blocking weapons sales and military assistance to countries violating international human rights and humanitarian law;
- Extending the successful domestic YouthBuild program on youth unemployment internationally;
- Expressing the House’s sense that the United States should become a party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child; and
- Expressing the House’s sense that the United States should ratify the Rome Statute and join the International Criminal Court.
“Collectively, these bills embody the key values that define a progressive foreign policy vision: a recognition that our values do not stop at the water’s edge; a commitment to diplomacy and multilateralism over militarism; a belief that all countries, including the United States, should be held to the same standards; support for human rights, human security, and justice worldwide; and more.
“In her short tenure in office, Rep. Omar has already proven to be a leading light in the struggle for a more progressive U.S. foreign policy. This package builds on the Congresswoman’s record of leadership and advances it even further. We applaud her efforts and call on other members of the House of Representatives to cosponsor this critical package of legislation.”
Win Without War is a diverse network of activists and national organizations working for progressive foreign policy in the United States.